FWD: Important: Get Your Proposals Submitted to the GSoC 2009 site sooner rather than later

Wed Apr 1 19:21:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

GSoC applicants need to be aware of this. Please
do what Leslie Hawthorn (LH) asks.

Hello everyone,

Right now, we have about 2x the students registered on
http://socghop.appspot.com
as we do # of proposals submitted. We are also hearing from our
mentors that they are reviewing many more proposals than have been
submitted via the GSoC 2009 site, e.g. "We have six applications
turned in but are reviewing another 20 or so in our forums."

I realize that many organizations are working with students to refine
their proposal ideas on their mailing lists, wikis, etc. However, a
proposal on a wiki, mailing list, etc. does not constitute an actual
application for the program; the proposal must be submitted to the
GSoC 2009 site. While doing review and refinement outside of
http://socghop.appspot.com is a useful exercise, it doesn't allow us
to accurately gauge the number of student proposals we're receiving
for GSoC 2009.

Please help us get an accurate sense of how many proposals will be
submitted for GSoC 2009 by submitting your student proposals to the
GSoC 2009 site *now*. It is fine if the proposal is still in draft
format. You are welcome to link to the wiki page, mailing list thread,
forum topic, etc. where your proposal is under discussion and
refinement as part of the proposal submission process.[0]

Finally, many organizations are asking for student to submit patches
as part of the application process. Don't let the patch requirement
stop you from submitting your proposal. The proposal may not be
reviewed until the patch is submitted, but we've given mentors ~2
weeks to review proposals (and any patches they request) after the
application deadline, which is this Friday, 3rd April at 19:00 UTC.

Cheers,
LH

PS - Contrary to all rumors you may hear, we have not extended the
application deadline. Further, don't assume that the deadline will be
extended.