Issues with Ubuntu (Debian) tools installation.

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Apr 2 18:29:22 UTC 2009

Scott Adams wrote:
> I installed the RTEMS 4.9 tools and code via the Quick Start
> instructions, and encountered a couple of issues:
>
>     * When converting the rpm packages to deb using alien a file
>       (rtems-4.9.list) is written to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ; this
>       file causes the Ubuntu graphical package manager (Synaptic Pkg
>       Mgr) to fail.  The offending line seems to point to where the rpm
>       package can be obtained.  Commenting it out allows Synaptic to run.
Simply don't install the package containing these files.

These files are apt-rpm config files and not suitable for Debian's apt

>     * GDB  seems to have been built with a dependency on the
>       libtinfo.so.5 library by name, rather than the libncurses.so.5
>       library where it is located in Ubuntu.

All this means, the distro you chose to install gdb from, is
incompatible to your distro.

Which distro dist you convert and which distro are you trying to install on.

>  This requires the creation
>       of soft links to libncurses with the name libtinfo.
As recently said in a similar thread on this list. Add such kind of
symlinks is _wrong_ and is a mistake. Instead, you need to find the
package from your distro which constains the missing libraries.

Ralf