powerpc interrupt handling

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Apr 3 07:32:15 UTC 2009

Kate Feng wrote:
> Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Jennifer Averett wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working with RTEMS 4.9 at an offsite location and am a little
>>> confused about what the correct interrupt handler call to use for new
>>> and updated powerpc ports.  There seem to be several that exist.
>>>
>>> rtems_interrupt_handler_install
>>>
>> This one if it is available (= BSPs that use
>> c/src/lib/libbsp/shared/include/irq-generic.h etc.)
>>

>>> bsp_interrupt_handler_install
>>>
>> In which header file is this one?
>>

>>> BSP_install_rtems_irq_handler/BSP_install_rtems_shared_irq_handler
>>>
>> These are from my point of view obsolete.
>>
> Not from my point of view.
>
> BSP_install_rtems_irq_handler/BSP_install_rtems_shared_irq_handler
>
> are for  BSP  that uses powerpc new-exceptions.

No, the interrupt handler dispatch facility is independent of the exception
code.  It is true that a BSP_install_rtems*irq_handler() implementation is
under the new-exceptions directory.  The stuff in c/src/lib/libbsp/shared has a
better API, implementation and documentation.  It also supports the
BSP_install_rtems_* as legacy API.

> However, I would like
> to suggest if it could be combined into one name as

I suggest to wipe out these BSP_install_rtems_* things in the long run.

> BSP_install_rtems_irq_handler
>
> The BSP_SHARED_HANDLER_SUPPORT defined in irq/irq.h would
> decide if it should be shared or not.

The overhead for a shared interrupt support is marginal.  There is no need to
make this option available.