Has anyone ponied up to the update of TCP/IP yet?

xu ray rayx.cn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 09:11:27 UTC 2009

I think the only reason usb from FreeBSD better than NetBSD might be
the compatibly with TCP/IP (rtems is using Freebsd).

NetBSD is the first to have USB stack in all bsd family and FreeBSD
just ported NetBSD's stack to itself and all BSD family synicronize
usb codes from each other from that time. So it hard to say which code
base is more advanced.

The advantage of NetBSD stack is its support for different families.
The USB support for ARM and PPC families has long been merged into
release branches. However, there are no support for other
architectures in Freebsd in release branch so far (at91rm9200 still on
dev branch). I think the different arch support will also be a problem
that we will face when porting Freebsd TCP/IP from FreeBSD to RTEMS.

In short, porting from both OSes have their advantages and drawbacks.

--
Thanks & Best Regards!

Ray, Xu