Network semaphore

Michael Hamel mhamel at adi.co.nz
Wed Apr 22 03:15:16 UTC 2009

I'm looking into the DHCP code myself (to see how we might fallback to
IPv4LL if a DHCP server can't be contacted) and I realise there is
something quite fundamental that I don't understand.

When should we call rtems_bsdnet_semaphore_obtain()? The networking
supplement (section 2.3) seems to suggest that the network drivers
should do this. But none of them do. The DHCP task does, as do the
network entrypoints described in rtems_syscall.h. It looks as though
the semaphore has been pushed down to a lower level so normal network-
using applications don't have to worry about it; but then why does the
DHCP code use it?

Thanks for any enlightenment,

---
"Where are those who in times past have opposed the Group of Seventeen?"

Michael Hamel
ADInstruments Ltd, Dunedin, NZ