Issues with Ubuntu (Debian) tools installation.

Thu Apr 2 17:40:58 UTC 2009

Scott Adams wrote:
> I installed the RTEMS 4.9 tools and code via the Quick Start
> instructions, and encountered a couple of issues:
>
>     * When converting the rpm packages to deb using alien a file
>       (rtems-4.9.list) is written to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ; this
>       file causes the Ubuntu graphical package manager (Synaptic Pkg
>       Mgr) to fail.  The offending line seems to point to where the rpm
>       package can be obtained.  Commenting it out allows Synaptic to run.
>     * GDB seems to have been built with a dependency on the
>       libtinfo.so.5 library by name, rather than the libncurses.so.5
>       library where it is located in Ubuntu.  This requires the creation
>       of soft links to libncurses with the name libtinfo.
>
> Neither of these is a big deal; just thought knowing might help someone.

I thought one of the students had figured the 2nd issue out on
IRC.

FWIW the GSoC project last year on Debian packaging ended with
it in a working state but unsuitable to turn on for production builds.
If someone is interested in addressing those, we could start to
move in the direction of providing Debian packages prebuilt.