mvme5500: mapping vme address spaces

rtwas rtwas at comcast.net
Tue Dec 29 08:31:17 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm looking for better insight into the process of mapping vme address
spaces into
user-app spaces.

Firstly, looking at the function: "BSP_local2vme_adrs(unsigned long am,
unsigned long localaddr, unsigned long *pvmeaddr)" I see an "am" code, a
"localaddr", and a "pvmeaddr" parameter, I am not seeing anyway to set the
*window size* of the space mapped. For a the "A16" (am code: 0x29,
0x2d)  address space, it's not much of a problem since the total size of
the space is relatively small.  For the "A32" space this is looking like
a real problem.

Another issue/question would be: how is this space actually mapped into
the programmers memory view?
I'm assuming the mapped vme space shares the same address space as the
actual program. How to know
*where* in local space to map the desired vme space (so that I don't
step on data/program memory)?

Thanks.

Robert W.