Obscure udp multicast issue/bug

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Mon Feb 16 15:46:54 UTC 2009

When I send to a multicast address with TTL set to 1 (default, restrict
m/c to local subnet) and my gateway is set to NULL or to an invalid
address, I get destination unreachable (errno = 118) on sendto() call.
It fails in ip_output() before it even checks that the destination
address is multicast.

So if I want to multicast on only my local subnet and there is no
configured router/gateway to the outside world, I still have to specify
a reachable host as the gateway to get multicast to work.

I don't know if this is expected behavior or something broken in the BSD
stack.

-gene