i386 now has shared IRQ support

Daron Chabot daron.chabot at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 20:30:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Joel Sherrill
<joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
> Daron Chabot wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Joel Sherrill
>> <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just committed the modifications required
>>> to support shared IRQs on the i386.  This should
>>> put the PowerPC and x86 IRQ processing at
>>> feature parity.
>>>
>>> It now looks like there is an opportunity to
>>> eliminate some of the shared code across the
>>> two ports irq.c files.
>>>

>> I can confirm that IRQ sharing works with the test-bench below:
>>
>> pc386 BSP (RTEMS cvs HEAD):
>> - 3 GHz P4 with 4 PCI-VME cards (3 of which share IRQ 11, 4th on IRQ
>> 9) + one PCI NIC (on IRQ 5), an ADMtek Centaur
>> (libchip/network/if_dc.c).
>>

> Nice.  Did it help you clean up your code any?

Cleaned things up a little (30-40 lines), as I could do away with some
test logic, building the list of shared handlers, looping over list in
the ISR, etc. I would much rather have that capability in the
rtems-core than in my application code...

>> Thanks, Joel!
>>

> Thank you for testing it.

More than happy to:  I have absolutely no objections to throwing away
cludge-code !