Telnetd initialization changes

Aaron J. Grier agrier at poofygoof.com
Fri Feb 27 23:14:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:29:35AM +0100, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> I would like to change the telnetd initialization routine to avoid
> dependencies with the DES code for password checks.  The password
> check and DES code use in total 70464 bytes of global data (a bit to
> much if you only have 128kB RAM).

ideally the crypt function should be selectable at compile time.  I have
seen MD5 and blowfish in the wild as well.  IIRC, early unix used enigma
cipher.  plaintext may be acceptable for some applications.  (telnet
itself is hardly secure.)

I wonder which besides plaintext is the lowest memory overhead?  (:

  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier at poofygoof.com