"ralf" suffix in 4.9.1

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Jan 8 06:52:13 UTC 2009

Leon Pollak wrote:
> On Wednesday January 7 2009, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> .exe --> natively linked output, usually ELF
>> .ralf --> downloadable image
>>
>> .ralf --> RTEMS Application Loadable File and a nod to Ralf
>> for all he has done. :)
>>
> Sorry for the obvious question:
> What is the difference between ralf and bin files?

It's definition/meaning.

A *.bin is an arbitrary binary blob, without associated meaning (It may
contain arbitrary binary data).

I.e. *.bin is insufficient to distinguish general "binary blobs" from
"rtems download images", e.g. when using suffix rules in makefiles.

Whether using *.ralf is helpful on a wider scale and in longer terms, is
a different matters. I am having doubts. They actually are files in a
general file format containing an RTEMS image and not files in an RTEMS
specific file format.

Ralf