Another DOS Format issue with MMC/SD

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jan 26 16:43:11 UTC 2009

Gene,

it makes a big difference whether you format /dev/sd-card-a or
/dev/sd-card-a1.

The former will format the whole disk as a MSDOS filesystem (sometimes
called a "superfloppy"), this means, that the partition table residing
in the first sectors is overwritten with msdos information.

The later will format partition 1 of the sdcard, still leaving the
partition table intact.

Possibly you might do the same thing with linux....

wkr,
Thomas.