Cortex-M3 support?

Mike Panetta mprtems at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 29 01:54:02 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

I don't have his email address, should it be in the list archives?
He has not posted recently in reply to this message, so I am
not quite sure how to contact him.

> In general terms, you want to start with the CPU core and
> ignore the peripherals.
>
> + make sure the multilib variant is in the tools
> + make sure the multilib variant is properly supported
>    by cpukit/score/arm and the libnetworking cksum routines.

Its in the tools, but the score code seems to be dependent on
non thumb ASM so it will not compile for the Cortex-M3.

Specifically the context switching code is explicitly in ARM mode.

> If you have a non-RTEMS "no OS" arm-elf toolset which can
> produce working executables for you, then you are almost
> ready for a very minimal BSP.
>
> + Use the linker script as base with additions for
>    workspace related symbols
> + Use the crt0.S from it (change call main -> boot_card)
> + implement a polled console using the libgloss support.
> + Use the "dummy idle task clock driver"

As soon as I can figure the best way to get the score code to
compile that will be my next step, using the rtems supplied tools. :)

> At the moment, I think the avr, m32c, adn m32r BSPs are the closest
> examples to this minimal point.
>
> That gives you enough to run tests with no interrupts.
>
> Sebastian will need to step in for exception processing.

Waiting to hear from him.

Thanks again,
Mike