Details regarding Bug #1383

Santosh vattam vattam.santosh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 16:18:57 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,

> The bug report deals with RTEMS internals only not the external interface.
> That is a separate issue.

I don't understand what it means when you say RTEMS internals and
external interface,  can you please elaborate? Is it that internal to
RTEMS means a part of the RTEMS core and external interface consists
of the external libraries that RTEMS uses and all its support tools?

> I found newlib defines '_off64_t'. What needs to be decided is the type for
> RTEMS's internal use so the file system handlers and similar interfaces can
> be changed to 64bit. Once the internal interfaces have changed the required
> external interface can be changed or added.

What needs to be done to decide this? Can I be of some help regarding
this? I mean is there a way I can recreate the bug as well as test a
few hacks like the one given in the updated bug report?

> A search of the SUS only returned off_t and lseek while loff_t, off64_t,
> lseek64 and llseek where not found. The nature of off_t is not detailed. I
> suppose the external interface is a standards view, ie Darwin, verses a
> compatibility one. I have hacked a local copy of RTEMS to internally support
> 64bit offsets so the dosfsck tool could be ported. I am using it on a 4.3G
> disk and so the 32bit offset failed.

Can I get more information about this hack so that I can apply it and try too?
Thanks in advance

--
Regards

Santosh G Vattam