ERC32 clock counter incorrect

Manuel Coutinho manuel.coutinho at edisoft.pt
Mon Mar 9 15:54:47 UTC 2009

Dear Seronie Vivien,

You are correct about the ERC32 documentation:

Timeout = RTCC * (RTCS+1) / SYSCLK

That is, the RTCC (RTC counter) does not need to add one unit. However, I
must conclude that this is a documentation bug.

The test performed is roughly like this:

Implemented the General Purpose Timer (Timer 2 on ERC32) with a 1 second
tick.
This 1 second tick is much larger than the clock tick of 10ms in RTEMS (in
the RTC timer).

I catched the RTC timer interrupt with my own handler

    rtems_interrupt_catch(myclockISR, getClockInterruptNumber(),
oldclockISR);

 which just printed the time read on the GPT:

static rtems_isr myclockISR(rtems_vector_number ignored) {
    uint32_t ticks,nano;

    TIMER2_DRIVER_READ(ticks, nano);
    printk("ticks = %d | nano = %d\n" , ticks,nano);
    oldclockISR(ignored);
}

The time that was printed is always incrementing by one unit (one
microsecond). The output is:

start  0 10050000
start  0 20051000
start  0 30052000
start  0 40053000
start  0 50054000
start  0 60055000
start  0 70056000
start  0 80057000
start  0 90058000
start  0 100059000
start  0 110060000
start  0 120061000
start  0 130062000
start  0 140063000
start  0 150064000
start  0 160065000
start  0 170066000
start  0 180067000
start  0 190068000
start  0 200069000
start  0 210070000
start  0 220071000
start  0 230072000
start  0 240073000
start  0 250074000
start  0 260075000
start  0 270076000
start  0 280077000
start  0 290078000
start  0 300079000
start  0 310080000
start  0 320081000
start  0 330082000
start  0 340083000
start  0 350084000
start  0 360085000
start  0 370086000
start  0 380087000
start  0 390088000
start  0 400089000
start  0 410090000
start  0 420091000
start  0 430092000
start  0 440093000
start  0 450094000
start  0 460095000
start  0 470096000
start  0 480097000
start  0 490098000
start  0 500099000
start  0 510100000
start  0 520101000
start  0 530102000
start  0 540103000
start  0 550104000
start  0 560105000
start  0 570106000
start  0 580107000
start  0 590108000
start  0 600109000
start  0 610110000
start  0 620111000
start  0 630112000
start  0 640113000
start  0 650114000
start  0 660115000
.
.
.

When we add the "-1" the time is always the same (that is, apart from the 10
ms between each clock tick). The output is:

start  0 10049000
start  0 20049000
start  0 30049000
start  0 40049000
start  0 50049000
start  0 60049000
start  0 70049000
start  0 80049000
start  0 90049000
start  0 100049000
start  0 110049000
start  0 120049000
start  0 130049000
start  0 140049000
start  0 150049000
start  0 160049000
start  0 170049000
start  0 180049000
start  0 190049000
start  0 200049000
start  0 210049000
start  0 220049000
start  0 230049000
start  0 240049000
start  0 250049000
start  0 260049000
start  0 270049000
start  0 280049000
start  0 290049000
start  0 300049000
start  0 310049000
start  0 320049000
start  0 330049000
start  0 340049000
start  0 350049000
start  0 360049000
start  0 370049000
start  0 380049000
start  0 390049000
start  0 400049000
start  0 410049000
start  0 420049000
start  0 430049000
start  0 440049000
start  0 450049000
start  0 460049000
start  0 470049000
start  0 480049000
start  0 490049000
.
.
.

Therefore, we conclude that the "-1" is in fact needed.

Note that, even tough we also place the "-1" on the timer2, it is irrelevant
for this test since the timer 2 generates interrupts with one second
interval whereas the timer 1 is generating with 10 ms interval.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards
Manuel Coutinho