Ethernet MTU

Michael Hamel mhamel at adi.co.nz
Thu Mar 26 20:49:36 UTC 2009

> [ Please note replying to the last email on the list
>    and changing the subject stuffs up the threading.

Sorry, I forgot that the threading uses other headers..

> Michael Hamel wrote:
>> Has anyone used jumbo packets (MTU of ~9000) with the RTEMS
>> networking  stack? I have a working gigabit network stack up on the
>> PPC405EXr, but  I'm not seeing more than 17Mbytes a second
>> throughput.
>
> How are you testing this ?

I have my own software running at both ends of the link; thats a one-
way figure derived from blasting the host with data as fast as I can
generate it. My reading indicates that thats about what I should
expect without using jumbo packets as the turnaround overheads
dominate gigabit transfers with the standard MTU.

I thought I might be able to use the SIOCSIFMTU ioctl() to change the
MTU, but in if_ethersubr.c I find this:

case SIOCSIFMTU:
		/*
		 * Set the interface MTU.
		 */
		if (ifr->ifr_mtu > ETHERMTU) {
			error = EINVAL;
		} else {
			ifp->if_mtu = ifr->ifr_mtu;
		}
		break;

... which is kind of discouraging. Does anyone know why its clipping
to ETHERMTU=1500 bytes?

---
"Not *another* shrubbery!"

Michael Hamel