Serious Bug All Targets -- Please Read

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 3 21:06:28 UTC 2009

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Till Straumann wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> E.g. by rewriting the code in question in C
>> That's what the new PPC framework does.
>>> w/ inline asm. This isn't always possible, but is possible on many
>>> occasions, even when  stack is not available.
>> w/o stack I'm not sure...
> You can do something like this (Pseudo-C code):
>
> extern bool var;
>
> int _foo_stub(....)
> {
>   asm( ENTRY_SYMBOL(foo) );
>   asm( PROCESS(var) );
>
>   asm( RETURN );
> }
You can't be serious.

> I.e. to use a C-function wrapper/stub and insert asm-functions inside
> of this function. It's a dirty hack, but it works quite well.
>
> A real world example based on this approach in RTEMS can be found in
> cpukit/score/cpu/sh/context.c.
I pretend I've not seen that...

>>> It also somewhat (not always) helps to catch such size mismatches
>>> early.
>>>
>>> Another possibility would be not to use _Bool for them (Which is the
>>> type GCC interally uses), but to use an "int"
>> Well - that's what I originally proposed (int32_t actually).
>>
>> IMO changing the type of these critical variables from bool -> int32_t
>> is least intrusive and probably the best solution for a 4.9.2
>> release.
> The problem with this is: Some rtems < 4.9 targets have used short
> (16bit) booleans.
I see. That is indeed a problem.

I'd propose

a) for 4.9 re-introduce a target-specific type in
score/cpu/<cpu>/rtems/score/types.h

typedef <target_specific_type> obsolete_boolean;

and declare _Context_Switch_necessary & friends

extern obsolete_boolean _Context_Switch_necessary;

b) for 4.10 use a type of known width and clean-up the assembly code.
It could be useful to introduce a type-name that suggests that it is
being used by assembly code.

-- T.