rename issue

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue May 5 03:48:57 UTC 2009

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sebastian caught me in IRC today and pointed out
> that something has changed which made rename
> compile into an infinite loop.  I think I have
> tracked it down to this change in newlib.  This
> would not impact 4.9 since newlib 1.16 wouldn't
> have this patch.
Well, it's great to see people duplicating work ;)

>   But it would be in the 1.17
> newlib.
Right, AFAICT, it affects all newlib-1.17.0 based rtems gccs, not only
gcc-4.4.0.

> 2008-03-27 Patrick Mansfield <patmans at us.ibm.com>
>
>     * libc/include/reent.h: Define _func_r functions in this file to
>     func if REENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED and MISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES are
>     defined.
>
> Patrick's change resulted in this macro being tripped
> for the XXX_r methods.
>
> #define _rename_r(__reent, __old, __new)          rename(__old, __new)
>
> I think we need to drop -DMISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES from
> *-*-rtems* in newlib/configure.host.
>
> Ralf.. if my analysis is right, then that is two issues
> driving a tool rebuild. :(

Sebastian had pinged me on this issue on PM some time last week and I
pointed him to the reent.h in response.

However, I haven't had any chance to look deeper into this, because I
had been AFK most of the time Wednesday through Monday (yesterday), ...
and am still suffering from backlog effects of the rtems.org mail server
screwup ;)

Ralf