Altera NIOS II

Aurélien LIBERT commerce.duke at gmail.com
Tue May 26 12:32:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

We are two students working on a project about a signal treatment
application running on an FPGA, the Altera Development Board. We would like
to use RTEMS on the NIOS II architecture. Is there a RTEMS version including
a porting on NIOS II as stated on the website ? We already looked at the
latest versions but the source doesn't seem to include it.

According to this website (http://www.ixo.de/info/rtems_nios2/), someone has
already worked on the porting. We asked him why nios II is no more supported
by rtems. Here is his reply :

>Years ago then my port was included in the RTEMS source code distribution,
as
>can be seen in the old news on the rtems.com website (August 9, 2006).
Maybe it
>has been removed since.  The problem was that it was impossible to create a
>native nios2-rtems toolchain. I had to use wrapper scripts to use the gcc
as
>provided by Altera.

>Because Altera still doesn't provide an upgrade to gcc 4.x, but RTEMS
expects
>if not requires gcc 4.x, it might have become really complicated and not
>feasible anymore to compile RTEMS with the wrapped Altera gcc.

>Greetings from Hamburg
>Kolja

So, is the porting possible and which version of RTEMS should we use ?

Regards,

Sylvain and Aurelien