Priority inherance issue

Manuel Coutinho manuel.coutinho at edisoft.pt
Wed May 20 08:41:52 UTC 2009

Yes, well, just some differences of course, but that is the main problem.

> Is this the problem what you have?
> >>
> >> My guess to solve this issue, is that when a semaphore is released, the
> >> new
> >> priority of the calling thread (lets call it thread A) must be searched
> >> through a list (or chain) of all the threads blocked on other
> semaphores
> >> that thread A holds.
> >>
> >> Of course, also, if a thread which is blocked on semaphore is deleted,
> it
> >> has to be removed from that list.
> I think there is a more simpler solution. For every inherent mutex, we
> record two priorities. One is before_improved_priority which is
> initialized to the priority when get this mutex. The other is
> after_improved_priority which is initialized to the lowest priority.
>
> When a thread T with priority P1 wants to acquire a inherent mutex, it
> finds that priority improvement is needed and do it like this:
> before_improved_priority = current holder's priority
> after_improved_priority = P1
>
> When the holder releases a inherent mutex
> It needs to check
>
> {
> if(current_priority is not higher than before_improved_priority)
>     return and do nothing
>
> if(current_priority does not equal after_improved_priority)
>     return and do nothing because the priority of holder is improved
> by thread which waits for other mutex.
>
> decrease the holder's priority to before_improved_priority
> }
>

> Then, we are able to make sure that after releases the mutex, the
> priority of the holder is still equal to the highest priority of
> threads who wait for mutex which the holder holds.
>

> Welcome more comments.

Not sure if your solution works. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong :S.

Suppose the example:

Threads A, B, C and D
Semaphores S1 and S2

Steps:
  D obtains S1
  D obtains S2
  C tries to obtain S1 and blocks
  B tries to obtain S2 and blocks
  A tries to obtain S1 and blocks
  D releases S1 -> and returns to priority B.priority (think your algorithm
works well here)
  A obtains S1 and releases it
  D releases S2 -> here, you have S2.before = C.priority and S2.after =
B.priority but thread D must now return to the initial priority (because it
no longer holds any semaphores)

I'm not sure I understood the "philosophy" behind your method, so cannot
really complete it :S
(but am not saying it is a bad ideia!)

Regards
Manuel Coutinho