Accessing serial ports on Coldfire

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Oct 2 03:34:59 UTC 2009

Andrei Chichak wrote:
> Okay, I don't seem to be understanding something very basic.
>
> Do you mean checking the /dev directory on my embedded system?

Yes.

> If so, I've missed the big pink elephant in the room. How do I fire up a
> shell? I thought that I fire up processes and send messages.

The header file shell.h has the interface. You can fire up a shell with
code like:

   void
   shell_start (void)
   {
     rtems_status_code sc;
     printf ("Starting shell....\n\n");
     sc = rtems_shell_init ("fstst", 60 * 1024, 150,
                            "/dev/console", 0, 1, NULL);
     if (sc != RTEMS_SUCCESSFUL)
       printf ("error: starting shell: %s (%d)\n",
               rtems_status_text (sc), sc);
   }

The shell is only to provide an 'ls' command to find the names of the
device nodes for your BSP. You could write code to readdir the /dev
directory and print the contents rather than use the shell.

My Coldfire target is currently not running so I cannot provide what I
have on the 5235 BSP.

The UART driver normally creates a /dev device node in the IMFS file
system so the code following can work in a standard manner:

  #include <termios.h>
  struct termios term;
  int uart = open ("/dev/uart1", O_RDWR);
  if (tcgetattr(uart, &term) < 0)
    printf ("error: cannot get terminal attributes: %s\n",
            strerror (errno));
  cfsetispeed (&term, B38400);
  cfsetospeed (&term, B38400);
  if (tcsetattr (uart, TCSADRAIN, &term) < 0)
    printf ("error: cannot set terminal attributes: %s\n",
            strerror (errno));
  close (uart);

Regards
Chris