SAMBA porting

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Oct 6 22:24:58 UTC 2009

Lu Chih Wen wrote:

> I am interested in SAMBA, Is anyone port SAMBA server on RTEMS?

I do not know of any ports to RTEMS.

> Please give me some key point if you done the samba porting.

Samba is GPL code so we cannot accept it directly into the RTEMS source
tree. It can how-ever be a contributed package available to all users
who are able to user GPL code.

Are you wanting to be a client or a server ?

If you are after a client implementation you may wish to take a look at
smbfs in FreeBSD and NetBSD (sys/fs/smbfs). We are able to accept this
source into RTEMS. For a client implementation in RTEMS you need to
create a set of handlers that glue a file system into RTEMS. There are a
few examples present that show how this is done. Please ask if you are
not sure.

Regards
Chris