Various software sizes calculation

Ali Asgar Nasir aliasgar.nasir at patni.com
Tue Oct 6 03:59:06 UTC 2009

Hello Leonard,

I will try to answer your questions below

RTEMS Stack Size:

            The tasks are the only users of the stack. While creating the
task , we pass the stack size. Hence the stack size will be the addition of
this attribute which is passed while creating the tasks.

            rtems_status_code rtems_task_create(rtems_name
name,rtems_task_priority initial_priority,rtems_unsigned32
stack_size,rtems_mode initial_modes,rtems_attribute attribute_set,rtems_id
*id

Total Variables size:

            Hope the below helps

SIZE OF CHAR 1

SIZE OF INT 4

SIZE OF LONG INT 4

FLOAT  4

SHORT INT 2

DOUBLE           8

LONG DOUBLE 12

Static data structure size:

            This is the addition of the sizes of the various elements in the
data structure. But be careful. Unless you give a "packed" attribute to the
structure, the compiler will round off the size to the data bus size of the
processor in use. Eg: if you are using  a 32 bit processor, then the size of
the structure will be rounded off to the nearest 4 byte boundary.

Application code size:

RTEMS code size:

            The map file should give you an answer to this.

The .data segment contains the global variables. That's true.

The .text segment contains the code and also the values of all the
initialized data in the code, along with the RTEMS code.

Hope the above helps

Regards

Ali

  _____