Various software sizes calculation

Thomas Dörfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Tue Oct 6 15:24:51 UTC 2009

Ralf,

i fully agree with you. keeping the code as clean as possible is vital
to keep RTEMS maintainable.

It was only this particular question that, at least for me, was aiming
in a different direction.

wkr,
Thomas.

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 10/06/2009 11:05 AM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>> Ralf,
>>
>> thank you for your list. Surely you are right that it does not make
>> sense to rely on a certain size when coding an application. But in
>> various applications size matters. So if you have let's say 128KByte of
>> RAM in your (space?) system and you need an answer to the question
>> "which data types might be appropriate if I want to save an array of
>> 16000 measured data samples" then getting this information may be quite
>> important. ok?
>
> No disagreement on this. However, in 90% of all cases, such questions
> come up, people are aiming at hacking around issues originating from
> type-size assumptions not being portable across architectures.
>
> [RTEMS is full of these, ... and it's not that bad at it at all :)]
>
> Ralf

Embedded Brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler        Obere Lagerstrasse 30
D-82178 Puchheim       Germany
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Phone: +49-89-18908079-2
Fax:   +49-89-18908079-9