Porting RTEMS to an Freescale MC9328MX21 with ARM926EJ-S based chip

Pablo Salinas psalinas.bomfim at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 19:09:49 UTC 2009

Hello there,
                   Me and a couple of classmates are looking for a good
Embedded Systems Design class project. One project idea is to port some RTOS
into the board and cpu used in class.

We use a TLL 6219 in-house Board with an ARM
926EJ-S<http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM926EJ-S.html>CPU inside a
MC9328MX21 chipset. The project should be finished by the first
week of December, therefore we have roughly 2 months and a half to work and
finish it. All three of us have other assignments, therefore we wouldn't
like to invest all our time in this project.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys had experienced porting RTEMS
into ARM based Boards. Currently, the board uses ARM Embedded
Linux<http://www.arm.com/products/os/linux.html>as the non-RTOS, and
MicroMonitor <http://microcross.com/html/micromonitor.html> as the Boot
Loader.

We all are very knowledgeable of C programming and have good background in
Computer Architecture. So, to all of you that had ported RTEMS to an ARM
architecture, how feasible do you think this project is? We don't care about
having full OS functionality, just the minimum (Process Scheduling, Memory
Management, etc) with a basic user interface that would allow to run a
simple application that would show that actually the OS is real-time.

Thank you, any feedback is appreciated.

best regards,
                    Pablo Salinas