Installing RTEMS on my host machine

Sergio Faustino sergio.faustino at edisoft.pt
Mon Sep 28 16:37:27 UTC 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009 22:04:44 Pablo Salinas wrote:
> Hi there,
Hi!!

RTEMS<http://www.rtems.com/onlinedocs/releases/rtemsdocs-4.9.2/share/rtems/
>html/started/index.html>manual.
>
> So, apparently I need root access for any of both approaches to work,
> right? Is there any workaround to that?
Actually, you can skip "Chapter 3: Prebuilt Toolset Executables" and go
directly to "Chapter 4: Building the GNU Cross Compiler Toolset" and use the
direct invocation of configure and make commands. Of course, you will need
to configure and install of the tools. In my computer, this takes about
~30min to compile GCC (which is the longest).

For the set of instructions there (Chapter 4 and Chapter 5) you don't
require root access as long as you are installing and building in a
directory where you have write permissions.

PS: if you want, you can download a tool that configure and install RTEMS
(and other things) at http://rtemscentre.edisoft.pt.

Best regards
Sergio Faustino.