RTEMS Interrupt Latency and Semaphore Release Obtain Latency

Manuel Coutinho manuel.coutinho at edisoft.pt
Thu Sep 17 13:58:42 UTC 2009

Hi

1. From our experience, these values in time that you are showing are
typical for RTEMS. Maybe a little bit faster or slower, depending on the
cases, but in general they are a good approximation.

2. Unless you crack the RTEMS code itself and be almost a genius or have
lots of time.I guess it will be very hard to improve those times :)

3. For synchronization purposes, you could also use the rtems_event_send or
the rtems_message_queue_send. Believe the first one is the fastest.

Also, don't forget to measure the time that an interrupt exit (from the last
C instruction of the ISR to the first C instruction of your application)
takes.it can also take a while.

A small point on those numbers you got.I believe that those numbers are very
difficult lower. RTEMS is already very good in terms of performance.

Well, its just my opinion :)

PS: Joel comments on the previous mail are also very good.

Kind regards

Manuel Coutinho

  _____