Downloading "powerpc-rtems4.10 gcc" for a few hours on Fedora 12

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Apr 29 14:09:04 UTC 2010

On 04/29/2010 03:26 PM, Peter Dufault wrote:
> I'm a BSD and OS X guy myself.  I have a VM installed for RTEMS development with Fedora 12.  This morning when I software updated it downloaded a single file for RTEMS Fedora 12 - it was some kind of package descriptor update.  I then decided to update again and sure enough it had new RTEMS packages to download.  However, for the last two hours it's been trying to download the 2.8 MB file "rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-gcc-4.4.3-10.fc12 (i686)".
>
> I tried to locate the file to see how far it had progressed but couldn't find it.  I found the similar "-9" instead of "-10" file, but didn't find any partially downloaded files there.
>
> I'm using Fedora 12 and updating using the "system->administration->software update" menu selection.
>
> Is the site just overloaded,
To some extend yes.

* As Joel already explained, the mirrors are having difficulties to
catch up with the current upgrade rate on the master server (rtems.org)

* Also showing effect are bugs in yum (the command line installer tool
being used by Fedora).

* Finally: This morning (CEST, i.e. ca. 6-8 hours agoe), OAR seems to
have had significant connectivity problems.
At least, I couldn't temporarily log in ;)

* Also: This morning, RH's Fedora master server was down. Theoretically
this shouldn't have impacts on end-users, but ... I would not want to
exclude anything ... AFAICT, it is up again.

> or could this happen if a file is corrupted back at the download site?
Unlikely - yum should be able to cope with this.

You seeing -9 instead of -10 means you were checking an out-of sync
mirror still carrying -9 while yum was trying to download -10 from the
master - yum doing so is one of the bugs in yum, mentioned above.

> Where can I find the partially downloaded file to see how it's going?

ftp://ftp.rtems.{org,info,eu}/pub/rtems/linux/<rtemsversion>/fedora/12/<architecture>/

Eg.:
ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/linux/4.10/fedora/12/x86_64

[rtems.org is the master, *.info and *.eu are mirrors].

Ralf