GUI Libraries, Frame Buffer and Input Devices

Sébastien Bourdeauducq sebastien at milkymist.org
Tue Dec 14 11:16:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 11:54:36 Sebastian Huber wrote:
> this is based on Microwindows/Nano-X.  As a high level GUI toolkit this
> path suggests FLTK.  For devices with very limited resources this approach
> seems to be a good choice.  It is easy to write custom screen, mouse and
> keyboard drivers for the Microwindows/Nano-X framework.

Microwindows, Nano-X, nxlib... the X11 sandwich: layers of crap make good
food? ;-)

> An alternative is Qt Embedded.  This is very attractive since it runs on
> many platforms and is one of the best GUI libraries available.

I tried that already, without much result. It's hard and not very fruitful
work. Qt is also probably slow and memory-hungry (it's not just a "GUI
library", it's more like a complete C++ operating system). See:
http://lists.milkymist.org/pipermail/devel-milkymist.org/2010-
September/000885.html

So I kicked all this away and went for a modded Genode FX
(http://github.com/lekernel/mtk) which provided the most features and an
acceptable look and feel (Nano-X demos = jokes) with a small resource
footprint and relatively little effort.

S.