VirtualBox & RTEMS, network configuration.

Mon Feb 1 14:38:24 UTC 2010

On 02/01/2010 03:04 AM, Karel Gardas wrote:
> Chris Johns wrote:
>
>>> - PCnet-PCI II (Am79C970A)
>>> - PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
>>> - Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
>>> - Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
>>> - Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)
>>>
>>> I've searched thorough rtems 4.9.3's c/src/libchip/network but has not
>>> found anything related.
>>>

>> Have you looked in libbsdports ? This is a way to import FreeBSD drivers
>> into RTEMS with little change. I am not sure if these have been added.
>>
> Hello Chris,
>
> indeed, I've found reference to libbsdport somewhere and google helped
> me to get the source code reference. When I get some free time I'll try
> to compile it, but I must ask anyway, why this is not added to the RTEMS
> distribution to make life of RTEMS users a little-bit more easier?

libbsd-port is considered a prototype effort and proof of
concept.  It functions and is useful but is only a first step.

At the Google Summer of Code Mentor's Summit, Chris and I
were part of kicking off the "Rosetta OS" group.  This was a
collection of developers from various "non-Linux" OSes including
DragonFly BSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, MINIX, Haiku, and RTEMS.
We identified some common cross-OS needs.

One of the needs was a free POSIX Compliance Suite which
could be used on any OS.  There are multiple test suites
out there for individual projects but no umbrella pulling
them together and ensuring they can be used on various OSes.

The other need was a stable "device driver/kernel internals API".
Matthew Dillon of DragonFly wants this because it is the only
way to get drivers and other kernel code into user space.  To do
this, the code moved to user space has to adhere to a strict set
of APIs and only certain .h files.  We want this so we have a
moderately stable API to port to.

This is the first public announcement of this but ... if
we are accepted as a GSOC 2010 project .. and a qualified
student is interested... then  Matthew Dillon has agreed to
co-mentor this project.  We are just now discussing this
and whether this is a DragonFly projects we help with or
an RTEMS project that Matthew helps with depends on
the work involved.

So that is a long answer but the roadmap is there.  I haven't
added this to the Open Projects Wiki page yet because I
haven't had time to write it up yet.  But I bet I can cut and
paste this response for a good start. :)

> Thanks!
> Karel
> PS: on google source code page there is a typo in a command `cvs co....'
> where `libbspport' is used instead of `libbsdport'. Thanks for
> correcting this.

Is this corrected now?  If not, what's the link?