Implement RTEMS for Altera NIOS2 processor

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Feb 4 14:50:03 UTC 2010

On 02/04/2010 03:38 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 02/04/2010 01:47 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
>> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>>> (2) AFAIK Altera has not done their part in the free software
>>> process in relation to the NIOS2 tool chain. They have NOT
>>> submitted their patches to the FSF projects for inclusion.
>>> The RTEMS Project does not provide pre-built tools based
>>> upon unsubmitted ports.
>>>
>>> (3) You can build your own toolchain using the Altera
>>> provided patches combined with RTEMS patches. I did
>>> this long ago and it worked. If they have not updated
>>> their tool versions in a long time, then you may have issues
>>> with RTEMS using recent FSF releases while Altera is
>>> using older tools.
>> Do you have any description of your successful attempt?
> I have no success with Altera but I pushed on
> Lattice and the tool developer for the Micro32 and
> it is now in the main FSF tree.

IMNSHO, it's time to pull the plug from the RTEMS nios2 port.

It's a pity for its users and a shame in general, but I feel we have
been patient long enough.

We have demonstrated our good-willingness by keeping the nios2 port
inside of the RTEMS source tree and invested time into keeping it alive.
However everything has to come to an end under circumstances like these.

Ralf