zero_copy in RTEMS

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 10 14:05:56 UTC 2010

FYI

The NFS client (libfs/src/nfsclient/) uses a similar trick to avoid
at least one copy step (could probably be further optimized).

Normally, the code would have to do two copy operations:

user code calls write();
NFS XDR-encodes user data into memory buffer, calls 'sendto'
TCP/IP stack copies XDR memory buffer into mbufs

use code calls 'read()'
recvfrom copies from mbufs into XDR buffer
nfsclient XDR-decodes from XDR buffer into user buffer.

The nfsclient avoids one of each of these steps:

user code calls write();
NFS XDR-encodes into buffer, points mbuf to buffer and hands
mbuf to TCP/IP stack (sosend())

user code calls read();
NFS receives mbufs from TCP/IP stack (soreceive()), XDR-decodes
out of mbufs into user buffer.

Since XDR-encoding the 'write' payload is a trivial copy operation the
'write()' could be further improved by XDR-encoding header information
into mbufs and pointing a final mbuf to the user buffer, then handing the
chain to the TCP/IP stack.

Since the user always wants to 'read' into her own buffer
at least one copy step is always required when read()ing.

-- Till