GUI to configure RTEMS

Thu Feb 18 17:36:17 UTC 2010

On 02/18/2010 10:35 AM, Alex Poovathingal wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am a 6th semester computer science and engineering student from
> India. This semester, we have to do a mini project as a part of our
> course work. We've decided to do it in RTEMS.
>

> While browsing through the project ideas in the wiki page, we came
> across one to create a GUI to
> configure RTEMS.
> http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/ApplicationConfigurationGUI
>

> What I'm planning is to create the GUI program in python. I am quite
> new to RTEMS. The only experience I have is modifying and running the
> helloworld example as give in the GSOC getting started wiki page. I
> have only a very vague idea about the feasibility of this project or
> how to get started.

This is a program which runs on the host (e.g. Linux, Windows, etc) and
can be used by a user to generate the RTEMS configuration directives
that tailor RTEMS to their system.  It is effectively giving you a GUI
with help/dialogs to enter every potential value accepted.  The result
is the "#define CONFIGURE_XXX" directives you see followed by
"#include <rtems/confdefs.h>".

The documentation for the configuration directives is here:

http://www.rtems.com/onlinedocs/doc-current/share/rtems/html/c_user/c_user00414.html

> I hope you can guide me in this. Any links or documents on how to get
> started will be great help.

It is a good thing you are looking at Python.  That will make it
cross-platform.

In our previous discussions of this project, we mentioned having some
type of XML schema to describe the set of configuration parameters.
Then the program would read the current set of configuration
parameters, default values, help, type (integer, etc).  This would
allow us to modify the set of configuration parameters without editing
the program.  Also I expect the program itself to be more maintainable
and smaller.

--joel