Simple Line Editor

Eric Norum wenorum at lbl.gov
Sat Feb 20 17:07:41 UTC 2010

This looks like an interesting project.  As the web page says, functionality somewhat like readline would be very useful.

The one big requirement is that the code be reentrant to allow for multiple ssh or telnet 'logins' to the RTEMS machine.  This is currently the major shortcoming in readline (and the similar 'tecla' project) since they rely on the termcap library which is non-reentrant.

A way to limit the scope to make the project more tractable would be to support only the ANSI terminal control sequences.  This isn't that big a restriction nowadays when a 'terminal' is likely an emulation program running on another computer.

On Feb 20, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Gokul Sudhakaran wrote:

> Hi
>
> I recently installed rtems on my system and have been browsing through some of the open projects in the rtems wiki pages. I am interested in implementing the Simple Line Editor project. (http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/SimpleLineEditor).
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could help me in getting a clear idea about the problem, any examples or sites that i could refer.
>
> --
> Regards
> Gokul

Eric Norum