Network setup problem in a x86 target (RTEMS 4.9.2)

Angel.Munoz.Cantera at esa.int Angel.Munoz.Cantera at esa.int
Thu Jan 21 17:46:00 UTC 2010

>> I am trying to get a workable environment for RTEMS-Apps development
(rev. 4.9.2). The target CPU is a Pentium M, 1.4 GHz (x86
>> architecture) in a PC104 which is going to be part of an embedded
system for robotic applications. Everything works fine, including the
>> upload of the image from the host with Etherboot, except for the
network setup on the target.. Oddly, the network commands (ifconfig,
>> netstats, route) are missing in  RTEMS "shell" (I'm using the
fileio.exe demo application). I have changed the network driver in the
>> bsp.h (libbsp of pc386)  to ne2000, as this is the only one which does
not crash  when running the "netdemo" apps, but anyway no network
>> commands can be found in the shell.
>> Configuration flags: -- target=i386-rtems4.9   --enable-networking
--enable-rtemsbsp=pc386 --prefix=/opt/rtems-4..9/

> Are you running on qemu?
Good point, I've also run the fileio.exe on qemu (with the configuration
options described in the QEMU-RTEMSWiki) but still there seems to be no
network interface (I guess ne1 should be there). Everything works, all the
shell commands are present, but it looks as if the "--enable-networking"
flag has no effect at all. The same happens with rev. RTEMS 4.9.3. I'm
sure I must be missing something, but I just cannot figure out what.

>> In fact I've tried configuring the system for all the available bsps,
with no success at all. The network interface of the target is a Fast
>> Ethernet 10/100, Intel 82562 chipset.
> This is very likely newer than what the Intel driver in the code base
supports.  You will have to use Till's libbsd kit (libbsd-port RTEMS CVS
> module).  This driver is much newer and supports newer chips.
Thank you very much for the info, I'll give it a shot. Anyway, I guess I
should get a successful simulation on qemu in the first place.

>> BTW, I get compilation errors if I add the symbol
CONFIGURE_SHELL_COMMANDS_ALL_NETWORKING to fileio/init.c or even to
shellconfig.h
> This works with the telnetd network-demo.  fileio is not setup as a
networked application so this is not particularly surprising.
OK, thanks a lot for your comments.

Ángel