Network setup problem in a x86 target (RTEMS 4.9.2)

Thu Jan 21 17:53:09 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 11:46 AM, Angel.Munoz.Cantera at esa.int wrote:

> >> I am trying to get a workable environment for RTEMS-Apps
> development (rev. 4.9.2). The target CPU is a Pentium M, 1.4 GHz (x86
> >> architecture) in a PC104 which is going to be part of an embedded
> system for robotic applications. Everything works fine, including the
> >> upload of the image from the host with Etherboot, except for the
> network setup on the target.. Oddly, the network commands (ifconfig,
> >> netstats, route) are missing in  RTEMS "shell" (I'm using the
> fileio.exe demo application). I have changed the network driver in the
> >> bsp.h (libbsp of pc386)  to ne2000, as this is the only one which
> does not crash  when running the "netdemo" apps, but anyway no network
> >> commands can be found in the shell.
> >> Configuration flags: -- target=i386-rtems4.9   --enable-networking
>  --enable-rtemsbsp=pc386 --prefix=/opt/rtems-4..9/
>
> > Are you running on qemu?
> Good point, I've also run the fileio.exe on qemu (with the
> configuration options described in the QEMU-RTEMSWiki) but still there
> seems to be no network interface (I guess ne1 should be there).
> Everything works, all the shell commands are present, but it looks as
> if the "--enable-networking" flag has no effect at all. The same
> happens with rev. RTEMS 4.9.3. I'm sure I must be missing something,
> but I just cannot figure out what.

You have to be root under Linux and specify some arguments
on the qemu command line.  You also have to have the tap/tunneling
interface loaded on Linux.

Check out the RTEMS CVS module gcc-testing and look in qemu-support.
There is a script called qemu-nic and some instructions which should help.
> >> In fact I've tried configuring the system for all the available
> bsps, with no success at all. The network interface of the target is a
> Fast
> >> Ethernet 10/100, Intel 82562 chipset.
> > This is very likely newer than what the Intel driver in the code
> base supports.  You will have to use Till's libbsd kit (libbsd-port
> RTEMS CVS
> > module).  This driver is much newer and supports newer chips.
> Thank you very much for the info, I'll give it a shot. Anyway, I guess
> I should get a successful simulation on qemu in the first place.

Have you run ticker?