5KHz acquisition control

Matt Rippa mrippa at gemini.edu
Mon Jun 7 20:12:29 UTC 2010

Hi -

I would like to know your thoughts regarding common practices
for an RTEMS system requiring a 5 KHz sample rate. The hardware
is 600MHz i386/PC-104 based. Reading through the RTEMS C users
guide the Rate Monotonic Scheduler appears to be what I'm
interested in. Basically I need to read inputs from hardware,
filter and process results, then write outputs with a period of
200 us.

I understand I can set the RTEMS system clock ticks to get this
resolution. My question is, is this a common and recommend
practice for this kind of sample rate? Or do people favor using
on-board programmable interrupt timers for this purpose? Is
using an external interrupt timer on the pci bus a common
practice if your SBC doesn't provide any timers?

Thanks for any input.

-Matt Rippa