5KHz acquisition control

Robert Deschambault robert.deschambault at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 20:23:53 UTC 2010

Hi,

In my opinion, I wouldn't run the RTEMS with a clock tick like that, I would
find a way to generate an external interrupt based on a hardware timer.  I
have successfully run RTEMS on a 40 MHz LEON2, with no changes to the RTEMS
clock ticks, to accept a 16 KHz interrupt signal for a fuzzy logic control
loop to control a gimbal.  Worked very well.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Matt Rippa <mrippa at gemini.edu> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I would like to know your thoughts regarding common practices for an RTEMS
> system requiring a 5 KHz sample rate. The hardware is 600MHz i386/PC-104
> based. Reading through the RTEMS C users guide the Rate Monotonic Scheduler
> appears to be what I'm interested in. Basically I need to read inputs from
> hardware, filter and process results, then write outputs with a period of
> 200 us.
>
> I understand I can set the RTEMS system clock ticks to get this resolution.
> My question is, is this a common and recommend practice for this kind of
> sample rate? Or do people favor using on-board programmable interrupt timers
> for this purpose? Is using an external interrupt timer on the pci bus a
> common practice if your SBC doesn't provide any timers?
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> -Matt Rippa

Bob Deschambault
6614 Astro Court, Mississauga