Doubt about sockets

Eric Norum wenorum at lbl.gov
Tue Jun 22 19:04:21 UTC 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 10:49 AM, Vinu Rajashekhar wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Eric Norum <wenorum at lbl.gov> wrote:
> Why not just use the message queues that RTEMS provides?
> It seems like a lot of extra work to go through the network stack for this.
>
> I am not working on C code directly. I am a student currently working
> on the GSoC project of porting gccgo, the gcc frontend to Go into RTEMS.
>
> The problem is with a network library component of Go. The code is in Go. This
> part of the library provides functionality for handling nonblocking sockets efficiently.
> They basically put all the nonblocking sockets into a set, and poll the set to see if
> any one is ready. In linux, they used epoll, but since RTEMS doesn't have it, we
> have to use select.
>
> As part of this support we need to wakeup select when we have to add a new socket
> into the set. So what they used is a pipe, and the read end of the pipe would go into
> the set of fds, that epoll/select is polling on. So if we want to wakeup select, we can
> just write something into the pipe. The problem here in RTEMS is, we can't use pipes,
> because select can't wait on them. So we thought of using sockets, that is when the original
> doubt of using the same socket for writing in multiple threads came up.
>
> So I hope you are clear on the context in which this problem came up ?
>
> So, if writing into the same socket from different threads is not a problem in waking up
> select, then I can safely use that. I don't care about the data transferred using the socket.
> Are there better solutions than this ?

If you want to retain as much of the existing code in the project then this sounds reasonable.
I would suggest that you add a global mutex and obtain it just before the write and release it just after.  Then you can be sure that you don't have multiple threads attempting to write at the same time.

--
Eric Norum
wenorum at lbl.gov