Dumb Question - Linkcmds and Heap initialization

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwu.edu
Wed Mar 10 16:45:29 UTC 2010

I'll take the liberty of jumping in again, although I am not the
expert here (learning by doing! :)

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Robert S. Grimes <rsg at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> 1. Yeah, there was an overlap between .text and .textrom.  FWIW, for my
> system, the executable file is loaded (i.e. sections placed, etc.) by
> MicroMonitor, and there isn't really any need to place .textrom at a
> specific location (i.e. into a physical EPROM), so I just removed the
> address and let it get placed after the rest of the sections.  Is my
> interpretation correct on the meaning of .textrom?
>
> 2. I removed the overlap, and now I get two calls to _Heap_Initialize (as
> evidenced by my printk traces):
>
>    _Heap_Initialize: heap:96CDC8, start:990000, size:1048576, page:8
>    _Heap_Initialize: heap:96C598, start:AA0000, size:4292214784, page:8
>
> Looks better, except that the size of the second call is clearly bogus.
> Indeed, immediately (in human terms) after the second call, the Heap Walker
> goes nuts as before while walking through the second heap.
>
> 3. Is the first _Heap_Initialize call for the RTEMS workspace?

I think that is correct, it would be called from
_Workspace_Handler_initialization in cpukit/score/src/wkspace.c

> 4. Is the second call for the libc heap (for malloc, new, etc.)?
>
> 5. I'm guessing the problem is the calculation of the size for the second
> heap.  That's in bspstart.c, right?  Specifically, it seems to be here, in
> bsp_pretasking_hook() - is that right?
>
> void bsp_pretasking_hook(void)
> {
>     uint32_t        heap_start;
>     uint32_t          heap_size;
>     uint32_t          heap_end;
>
>     /* round up from the top of workspace to next 64k boundary, get
>      * default heapsize from linker script  */
>     heap_start = (((uint32_t)Configuration.work_space_start +
>            rtems_configuration_get_work_space_size()) + 0x18000) &
> 0xffff0000;
>
>     heap_end = _heap_start + (uint32_t)&_HeapSize;
>
>     heap_size = (heap_end - heap_start);
>
>     _heap_start = heap_start;
>     _heap_end = heap_end;
>
>     _top_of_ram = heap_end;
>
>     bsp_libc_init((void *) heap_start, heap_size, 0); /* 64 * 1024 */
>
> }

I agree with your thinking. Can you check with printk or somehow what
are the values of heap_start, heap_size?  I see a possible bug here,
which is this line:
   heap_end = _heap_start + (uint32_t)&_HeapSize;
If my C is right, this is actually adding the address of HeapSize to
the _heap_start, when what is really wanted is to add the number of
bytes _HeapSize to the _heap_start. e.g.
  heap_end = _heap_start + *(uint32_t)&_HeapSize;

By moving your .text section, you may have shifted the address of
_HeapSize to reveal this as a bug.  That's my thinking anyway.
-Gedare

> Thanks,
> -Bob

>>> 617.697.8579