From RTEMS to Linux :-(

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:47:34 UTC 2010

Linux programs are mainly stuck with the POSIX API to the kernel and
whatever you can find in libraries (libc, etc) -- which are usually
built on top of POSIX. Certain types of low-level operations, such as
allocating physically contiguous memory, is not (to my knowledge)
possible from within a user-land application and is not specified by
POSIX.  There are kernel interfaces that provide such operations for
kernel-mode code such as device drivers and kernel modules, but I
don't think there are any user API functions to access them.

I would suggest formulating a set of questions specific to what you
are trying to do, and then ask them on some appropriate Linux mailing
lists (e.g. http://www.linux.org/docs/lists.html and
linux-c-programming).  My guess is that most of the functionality you
need is available somewhere in some library, but the trick is how to
find it.  If you do need low-level functionality (i.e. hardware
dependent) then you will probably have to write a kernel device
driver.  There are also good resources online for how to do this, for
example http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

-Gedare