Proposal: Switch arm-rtems to arm-eabi from arm-elf

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue May 4 06:33:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 04/30/2010 03:20 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of the recent ARM tool issues I have reported
> have turned out to be non-existent in arm-eabi
> derived targets.  We are arm-elf derived and IMO
> it is time to move to arm-eabi.
>
> This is similar to transitions in the past from
> COFF to ELF but I really don't know the specific
> target impact.

I thought that the difference between arm-elf and arm-eabi is only the ABI and
not the file format of the object file.

> Could some ARM experts enlighten me on the impact?

A Debian port uses the arm-eabi:

http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

Android also uses the arm-eabi.

I don't know the exact differences.

> I think this needs to happen before 4.11 but I
> am open to arguments that it needs to happen before
> 4.10.  But the impact has to be light to consider
> doing it at this stage in the game.

We should use arm-elf for 4.10 since there are currently no known problems with
it.  Afterwards we can test the arm-eabi and may ship it with 4.11.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9