RTEMS on openhatch.org

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu
Wed May 19 14:38:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Joel Sherrill
<joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OpenHatch.org is a site which is intended to
> hook up people who are interested in contributing
> to free software projects with projects who
> want contributors. There is an emphasis on bringing
> new people in so projects from our "Easy List"
> might be relevant.
>
> Any suggestions on what to include in these answers.
>
>   *
>

>           *Q:* I'd like to participate. How do I begin?

>           [X] <http://openhatch.org/+projects/RTEMS#> Add an answer
>               +
>
>                 *Tip*:
>
>                 Talk about diverse kinds of contributions. Include
>                 URLs if relevant (we'll automatically linkify them).
>
>               +
>
>                 *Examples*:
>
>                 Here's how to download and patch our codes…
>
>                 Read about our death-defying mailing list and
>                 momentous IRC channel at http://lobstermag.net.

Read the RTEMS Philosophy: http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Mission_Statement
Get the code: http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/RTEMS_CVS_Repository
Join the mailing list and ask questions:
Lurk in the IRC channel and ask questions: #rtems on freenode
Check out the open projects page to see if anything interests you:
http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Open_Projects
Get development tools for your environment:
RTEMS Development Tools with Fedora (Yum):
http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/APT/Yum_Repository#Yum_Instructions
RTEMS Development Tools with Ubuntu:
http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Building_the_RTEMS_toolset_on_Ubuntu
Try the Quick Start aimed at early results:
http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/GSoC_Getting_Started
Look at the more detailed Quick Start:
http://rtems.org/onlinedocs/doc-current/share/rtems/html/started/index.html
Run RTEMS in QEMU: http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/QEMU

>   *
>

>           *Q:* Other than writing code, how can I contribute?

>           [X] <http://openhatch.org/+projects/RTEMS#> Describe a task
>           Further info
>               +
>
>                 *Tip*:
>
>                 Discuss documentation, testing, webmastering, and/or
>                 publicity.
>
>                 Include URLs if relevant (we'll automatically linkify
>                 them).
>
>               +
>
>                 *Example*:
>
>                 We need people to download version 0.4.5 and make sure
>                 the frobulator still frobulates correctly.

Check out the small projects page, which lists some projects that do
not require coding:
http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Small_Projects#No_Coding_Required

Wiki editing for consistency and content is always helpful.  It would
be great to have a more organized and cohesive wiki experience,
especially for novice users.  Another useful effort would be
de-duplication of pages -- identify pages that appear to be
duplicates, see if one is outdated, and update links to point to the
freshest information.

If you have an idea for a community-oriented project, propose it on
the mailing list or discuss it in IRC.

Take a look around the bugzilla: https://www.rtems.org/bugzilla/