RTEMS as a PLC?

Ian Caddy ianc at goanna.iinet.net.au
Fri May 14 01:03:23 UTC 2010

Hi Aaron,

On 14/05/2010 6:40 AM, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> this is a long-shot, but has anybody out there done any investigation of
> implementing IEC 61131(-3) on RTEMS to create a programmable logic
> controller?  RTEMS seems like it would be suitable to handle both a
> hard-real-time PLC loop in addition to human-machine-interface duties.

We have used RTEMS for a number of years in a Remote Terminal Unit (RTU)
based product (for Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition - SCADA)
that also contains IEC61131-3 functionality.  In an RTU device the
reporting (communications) of time based eventing is more important than
the logic running in the unit so it is a bit different to a PLC type
device but RTEMS had no problems performing admirably with this.

We run the logic as a task with a certain priority in the system.

The 61131-3 system that we use is quite old and was bought in from
IsaGRAF but works OK.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

regards,

Ian Caddy

--
Ian Caddy