Opinion on the performance of various RTEMS managers

Mon May 31 14:21:00 UTC 2010

On 05/31/2010 08:54 AM, Robert Deschambault wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to get opinions on what would be the most efficient way
> to build an application under RTEMS.  There are several managers
> available, message, signal, semaphores, event ... would there be an
> advantage to use one method over the other?  Which has the least overhead?

I hope others pipe in with their views but the general answer is that
they all are built using the same handlers in the "super core" of RTEMS
so the performance varies only by the amount of information and
power of the manager.

For example, using 0 length messages is comparable in performance
to a counting semaphore.  But sending a 1K message is going to be
a lot more.

The key is that each has a different focus on the balance between
communication and synchronization.

--joel