Serial device access with qemu!

Jeferson Luiz Rodrigues Souza jeferodrigues at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 15:24:52 UTC 2010

Dear Joel,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com>wrote:

> On 11/23/2010 02:50 AM, Jeferson Luiz Rodrigues Souza wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am trying to access a serial port in RTEMS 4.9.4 using a pc586 bsp.
>> However, when I execute the application using qemu the code cannot open the
>> device, and the perror() function presents the following message: "No such
>> file or directory". It seems that RTEMS did not initialize a properly driver
>> to handle serial device. Is it right?
>>
>> The qemu command line is:
>>
>> sudo qemu -serial "/dev/ttyS0" -fda floppy.img -boot a
>>
>> I made a search in this list and I found references about serial port
>> access but nothing to help in my case. Could anyone help me or point me some
>> documentation about serial port access in RTEMS?
>>
>> The code used in the test is presented below. I do not have some
>> experience with RTEMS and I do not know the source of this problem.
>>
>>  The /dev/ttyS0 above is the host serial port.  The -serial says
> attach attach the serial port COM1 on the target simulator
> PC to the specified device.  So you are attaching the virtual
> COM1 to the real serial port on the host /dev/ttyS0. Is that
> what you intend to do?
>
> FWIW COM1 --> /dev/ttyS1
> COM2 --> /dev/ttyS2
>
> on the RTEMS target.

I need to read some data from a device connected in the host serial port
(e.g. /dev/ttyS0) inside an application running in RTEMS with qemu.  So, is
my source code correct? or Do I need some extra configuration?

Where is the name of serial devices in RTEMS defined? I tried use the open()
function as follows:

 int serial_fp = open("/dev/ttyS0",O_RDONLY);
or
 int serial_fp = open("/dev/ttyS1",O_RDONLY);
or
 int serial_fp = open("COM1",O_RDONLY);

and got the same message when I checked the serial_fp value and print the
error message using perror() function: "No such file or directory"

Thanks to reply,

Best regards,
Jeferson.