Mitre Robotics Presentation at George Washington University

Tue Oct 19 15:45:54 UTC 2010

  Hi,

Dr. Cicalese and I will speak at George Washington University
in Washington DC next Tuesday October 26.  I believe we are
scheduled to speak at 11am.  If you are in the area and would
like to attend, you are more than welcome.

Abstract

This talk provides an introduction to MITRE's work in the growing field
of Unmanned Systems and to the RTEMS open source, real-time operating
system. The MITRE Meteor, a converted Ford Explorer, was a finalist in
the 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge. It and its two newer companions, the
skid-steered MITRE Centaurs, are platforms for a wide range of
experiments in the field of Unmanned Systems. The speakers will discuss
the software architecture employed in these robots, where agents built
in Java perform higher level planning tasks. These agents communicate
with Ada software running over RTEMS on an embedded processor to control
the Centaur robot's real-time, safety-critical functions. RTEMS provides
a high performance environment for embedded applications on a range of
processors and embedded hardware.

Biographies

Dr. Cicalese is a Lead Software Systems Engineer at The MITRE
Corporation in McLean, VA, USA where she provides software engineering
support to the Army Robotics and other programs. She has experience both
in industry as a software engineer specializing in distributed systems
as well as in academia as a tenured associate professor of Computer
Science at Marymount University in Arlington, VA. She has a BS in
Electrical Engineering from The George Washington University, an MS in
Computer Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University, and a DSc in
Computer Science from The George Washington University.

Dr. Sherrill is the Director of Research and Development for OAR
Corporation in Huntsville, AL, USA. He is the maintainer of the free
real-time operating system RTEMS and a founding member of the GCC
Steering Committee. He lead the team that ported and validated
GNAT/RTEMS. He has a BS in Computer Science from University of Tennessee
at Chattanooga and MS and PhD in Computer Science from the University of
Alabama in Huntsville.