NAND Flash filesystem

Mick Davis mickd at goanna.iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 19 06:51:49 UTC 2010

Hi

Yes, good progress.

I have a basic working bsp for the at91sam9263-ek. It might be a good
time to share it so that others can contribute, but I still have
improvements to make.

For the NAND filesystem, I'm currently on the route of adapting UFFS.

I've built it as a library for RTEMS, which involved creating a makefile
and supplying some functions to the library from RTEMS. That part was
pretty easy.

In my app, I then had to write hardware interface functions.  These are
specific to the atmel processors, and require some config for the NAND
chips you want to support.  I should move them into the BSP I guess.

I've been testing with the UFFS API, and so far it seems good.  It
doesn't lose files and handles bad blocks.  I don't have performance
figures yet, but there's no noticeable startup delay, which was a
concern for the 512Mb+ chips I'm working with.

I haven't made a lot of progress with integrating UFFS into the RTEMS
filesystem.  I've had a look at the RTEMS Filesystem Design Guide.  I've
been looking at how the ftp and tftp filesystems do it, because they're
similar.  I don't have blocks or nodes, just filenames and directories,
and handles for open files.

I can see how to setup with the mount table and that I need to supply
functions for the rtems_filesystem_operations_table and
rtems_filesystem_file_handlers_r structures.  It's not clear to me
what's then expected of the functions I write.  I'd also like to
understand what sequence the functions are used in.

I've actually been testing without UFFS at all to get things worked out.
  It should be possible to develop a model for how to integrate a
generic file + directory names filesystem.

--

Mick Davis
Goanna Technologies Pty Ltd

"Shock your lizard today!"