Installing MinGW RTEMS Tools

Ian Caddy ianc at goanna.iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 19 08:28:37 UTC 2010

Hi Sam,

(I added it back into the RTEMS list ).

On 19/10/2010 3:28 PM, Sam Lost wrote:
> Thanks for the help however I am still no further forward.
> Just so I am clear is the information in the following wiki page correct:
> http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/MinGW_Tools_for_Windows
> I do not require the most update to date tools, just something that will
> install and allow me to compile and build for PowerPC under Win32 via
> Eclipse. Is this possible?

Not sure, I run our tools in msys directly or via emacs (using the msys
shell), I don't know if it will run on a windows console, but I have
seen people using RTEMS msys tools via Eclipse before, but I am not sure
how it was done as I don't use Eclipse.

> Can I use the installer or not?

No, it will install, but the tools are out of date for V4.10 and won't
build properly.

> Ian you stated that the wiki page had been updated, can you point me
> towards the correct page.

I had updated the wiki at the same place you were referring to:

 > http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/MinGW_Tools_for_Windows

down where the title is "RTEMS Tools Installation".

For the 4.10 tools I have added a note indicating that these are not
valid and that you should get the tools directly from the FTP (as above).

Now below is a simple description for installing the Mingw tools for
RTEMS-4.10.  We use the arm tools, but I am sure it would be the same
for powerpc.

I guess the first question is do you have a msys environment running on
your computer at the moment?

It should look like a big blue M on your desktop or similar?  When you
run it does a console come up?

If you have it then the tools should not be a problem.

Chris has not been able to maintain the windows installer, as he
explained, so you need to get the files as pointed to by Chris and
myself from here for your toolchain:

ftp://ftp.rtems.org//pub/rtems/mingw32/4.10/

If you look down the list from the top you will see the powerpc tools.

rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-binutils
rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-cpukit
rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-gcc
rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-gdb

You will also need:

rtems-4.10-autoconf
rtems-4.10-automake

You do not need the source as these are prebuilt, get the tar.bz2 files
and put them in your msys root directory, probably:

c:\msys\1.0

and use the following command(s):

tar xfjv rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-binutils.2.20.1-3.tar.bz2

and repeat for all your downloaded tools.

You will then need to add the following to your path, either just msys
or windows:

c:\msys\1.0\opt\rtems-4.10\bin

(you may need to reboot your PC, as msys can sometimes not update some
things once it has been run)

Then when you restart, open an msys prompt and type:

powerpc-rtems4.10-gcc --version

and you should see gcc information.

Let me know if you still have a problem.

regards,

Ian Caddy

--
Ian Caddy