Problems getting started with PC686 BSP

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Sep 15 15:41:14 UTC 2010

On 09/15/2010 04:16 PM, Steven Grunza wrote:
> I've been trying to get the hello_world example to work on a Dell laptop
> without success.

> I'm using a USB boot from a flash drive (the laptop doesn't have a
> floppy drive).

> My grub.conf is:
>
> default=0
> timeout=15
> title RTEMS pc686-tests-hello.exe
>          root (hd0,0)
>          kernel /boot/images/pc686-tests-hello.exe
Note: root(hd0,0)

> J:\>dir /s
>   Volume in drive J has no label.
>   Volume Serial Number is 4C8F-D1DD
Note: Drive "J:"

This doesn't match.

grub's (hd0,0) would be the first partion on the first hard-disk (In DOS
terms: Drive "C:").

An USB stick DOS sees as "J:" (9th drive) is very unlikely to be grub's
(hda,0).

What I actually is is hard to tell, because both Linux and grub don't
number drives by consecutive letters.

What is the drive name Linux sees your flash drive rsp. the partition on
the flash drive?

Ralf